Below is a recent announcement from the State Natural Resources Board regarding upcoming plans for the Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest. While this is good news for some forms of OHV recreation, not necessarily the best of news for the 4WD community, please note last bullet point.
While we hear that 4WD enthusiasts have shown great interest, showed a presence at meetings and have provided ample feedback, once again we have not been granted any new opportunities. WOHVA recommends as a 4WD community we continue to voice our opinion. There are still other opportunities that we may be able to have an impact on. Please contact the ROA project leader at
Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
1300 West Clairemont Ave
Eau Claire WI 54701
State Natural Resources Board to consider NHAL master plan amendment at October 25, 2017 meeting
The Department of Natural Resources will present a master plan amendment for the Northern Highland American Legion State Forest to the Natural Resources Board at their October 25, 2017 meeting in Madison. The purpose of this proposed amendment is to address evolving needs and opportunities to the recreation experiences provided at the property. The amendment was revised based on public comments received during the August 17 to September 17 input period.
The more notable proposed changes to the master plan include:
- Converting four rustic campgrounds to more modern facilities.
- Designating two rustic campgrounds as quiet zones where no generators or amplified sounds would be allowed.
- Adding two new group campsites and 38 new water-access campsites.
- Adding up to five miles of hiking trails, 50 miles of mountain biking and off-road bicycle trails, and 60 miles of bicycle touring trails.
- Designating up to 205 miles of existing DNR forest roads as ATV/UTV routes or trails to create connections across the property as part of the broader regional network and provide loop trails where locally desired.
- Developing up to 36 miles of off-highway motorcycle trails.
- Developing preferred tours for dual-sport motorcycles and 4-wheel drive trucks on existing DNR forest roads and local roads where they are currently authorized.
The amendment does not propose any changes to the land management classifications of the Northern Highland-American Legion State Forest.
For more information, search the DNR website dnr.wi.gov, for keyword "NHAL."